RMCC Toonie Tuesday Fun Race Series
*This is for ALL RMCC Club Members
April 30th – Spray Lakes Hill Climb – mtn bike and CX gravel bikes – (timed) start at MacDonald Place
May 14th – TT Climb Up Silver Tip Road – to Roundabout (Two times for senior riders – ouch – timed)
May 21st – XCO mtn bikes at CNC (Nationals trail short laps)
June 4th – Roadie Toonie – TT timed drag race from west to east along Three Sisters Parkway – Grassi Lake Parking Area to OLS High School Parking area off the Three Sisters roundabout (timed)
June 18th – XCO mtn bikes at CNC as a warmup for Canada Cup race weekend (Nationals trail short laps)
July 9th – Roadie Toonie – along club TT section TBD – 1A
July 23rd – XCO mtn bike relay race at CNC and potential summer BBQ
Toonie Tuesday Race Series Info
RMCC is pleased to host an informal springtime race series intended to provide a high-quality training and learn-to-race experience for RMCC riders, in a safe and welcoming environment. For those unfamiliar with these races, here are some of the FAQs:
- Eligibility: Riders must be a member of RMCC (for insurance coverage), or a member of another licensed and insured club, and ride in accordance with the RMCC Code of Conduct, apart from that; bring a Toonie entry fee (pays for prizes), and a willingness to suffer!
- Event format: All races will incorporate a handicapped starting system ensuring that more seasoned riders will have either a time delay or distance addition to make up over beginner riders, so that all riders have an equal chance of winning the same event.
- Duration: Events are designed around a total of 20-30 min of hard riding; either in one continuous event or in multiple heats.
- Disciplines: Events will alternate between MTB and Road, however many of the MTB events will accommodate a wider variety of riding styles including Cyclocross, Enduro and XC, just as the road events will certainly accommodate a CX bike with slick tires; just look to each event invitation to determine what you can ride.
- Schedule: We aim for every other Tuesday, but there will be a bit of juggling around to accommodate specific race schedules and program goals within the club, a tentative schedule for all the events is posted above, and includes an ambitious eight events at present.
- Scoring: At each event, the total number of participants will determine the points awarded (but everyone scores points) and a series winner is also crowned.
- Start times: Sign on is at 1730 hrs (to accommodate juniors racing for Toonie glory) with start around 1800 hrs in handicapped riding groups to provide every participant a crack at Toonie stardom. If any of the working folks find it hard to arrive on time for a 1730 hrs sign on, please email or text Mike Cavaliere that you wish to participate and you can be added to the start list ahead of time.
RMCC can boast of Hill Climb Toonie champions of past who are now professional riders, endurance champions, and hold provincial & national championship titles. So if you are interested in testing yourself, you are most welcome. You never know where it may take you!